Strengthening Access To Justice & Legal Aid Assistance
Samburu Women Trust is implementing a project titled “Strengthening Access to Justice and Legal Empowerment of the Indigenous Women, Marginalized, Poor and Vulnerable People in Isiolo County”.
The project falls under Program for Legal Aid Delivery in Kenya with the kind support from UNDP- Amkeni Wakenya.
In the project implementation process various strategies have been deployed that include Public Education Forums on Legal Aid act & Legal Aid Assistance, Facilitate Quarterly Mobile court sessions in the project areas, establishing of a legal aid and information centre in the project areas, training and operationalization of ADR committees, Roundtable meetings with Court Users Committees’, Awareness creation on Covid-19, Radio talk shows to create awareness on access to justice and legal aid assistance.
Through a successful implementation of the PLEAD project by SWT, the following results have been achieved.
• Enhanced citizen awareness and engagement on access to/administration of justice.
• Enhanced Access to legal Aid for the marginalized and vulnerable communities.
• Improved efficiency of community justice systems and alternative dispute resolution mechanism.
• Enhanced capacity of rights-holders to access and utilize state and non-state institutions most important for them in obtaining justice.
• An increased awareness on the administration of Justice amongst women, marginalized and minority groups in Isiolo County.
• Enhanced citizens’ engagement in the development of legislative and policy frameworks on access to justice to ensure that the interests of women, people with disability, marginalized and other minority groups are brought on board.